- Peace Award
About Jodo Shu Peace Award
Jodo Shu Peace Awards are given to recognize and support the work of the Jodo Shu temples, priests, and organizations who are aspiring to non-profit, socially-engaged Buddhist activities for peace, international exchange, and social welfare, while upholding the purpose of sharing the teaching of Jodo Shu. We also aim to educate and foster the JPA members by sharing stories and know-how of the awardees’ activities in order for the members to better understand and take part in socially-engaged Buddhist activities.
The past awardees include temples and priests who:
- ※Organized a local NPO for their town-planning activities to preserve a town’s traditional landscape
- ※Established a welfare NPO with local citizens for suicide prevention and support for people with social withdrawal issues
- ※Provided scholarships and livelihood support for international students in Japan
- ※Co-organized events such as tea ceremony, flower arrangement, and noh play at temples for local citizens with the purpose of introducing Japanese culture
- ※Hosted an annual local bon dance festival which became the town’s most prominent event.